Thursday, May 7, 2009

Check your 'Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007' kids

Ok, so I wasn't going to say anything about this, and then I decided, you know what, this is called 'Opinion Added' because I have opinions, and if I hold them back, then surely it negates the whole point of my blog, right?

So to bring it down a little I am not going to name names, anyone with half a brain could probably work it out, but you know...

I think it's about time we checked the 'Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007' - that fun act that came in 1 day after my birthday (going to a government briefing about it was exactly how I wanted to spend my birthday - I remember it well) in 07. The basics behind it, is that we're not really allowed to send out emails to a 'database' of people unless they have given their consent to receive such correspondence.

This week I recieved an email, as did someone else in my office which is why I know that it was a bulk emailout, from a speaker I saw recently. Now, the person who sent the email was not the organiser of this event, which means that my details were passed on from the company that I RSVP'ed to, to this person. I'm afraid that my RSVP could in no way be considered implied consent to a) recieve bulk email information or b) have my personal details passed on to a third party.

Now, I like the company that passed on my details, and the email wasn't horrendous (although, before you invite me to the next presentation you're doing, you might want to note that I am in Wellington, and therefore may not make it to Auckland for this...) so it's not the biggest deal, but to be fair, I would have thought all involved would have known better.

No comments: