Friday, July 10, 2009

Ads to come on Twitter?

I have been in bed asleep all day today. I feel as though I am on the verge of the flu, but I am hoping that mass amounts of sleep and LOTS of vitamin C is going to ensure it doesn't actually happen. At any rate, that is the reason that I
a. haven't done a favourite site of the week
b. don't know what the buzz on Twitter has been.

Twice now I have questioned the 'sponsored definitions' without much response. Are these actually paid for? Whats the deal? Does anyone pay attention to them?

Well, what do we have here then?? Typically I use TweetDeck and otherwise I am a Chrome user, but on my MacBook , I access Twitter the normal way, and through Firefox. So, not sure how long this has been about, but it is looking pretty close to an ad:
Hmm, hello very banner looking slice of yellow. Oh no, not a banner, how I loathe banners. I just feel as though they are too squished. I really do like Skys and Shows better, I feel there is a larger creative space for someone to do something spectacular. At least it is not at the very top of the screen just waiting to be scrolled past.

So this 'banner' (for want of a better word) is talking about upgrading Firefox, and this only shows in Firefox, no sign in Chrome or Safari. So, if they can target to browser... I wonder what else they may be able to target to when it comes down to it? More importantly though, how are they going to get around the API situation. I rarely use the web to check Twitter, and with so many applications, there is not going to be an easy way to bring them altogether. One thing at a time though.

I wonder how soon we can expect to see actual advertising in that space. Only a matter of time. Only a matter of time...

1 comment:

Sisyphus said...

Apparently the definitions have been there for a couple months now - dunno much more about it though.
As for the APIs, I'd imagine they will charge for added bells and whistles to larger users of the API. With txt updates they are dropping usage hints in the unused space of the txt - I guess those will become small text ads eventually.